Sunday, February 27, 2011

Dog therapists. Good Stuff.

Today’s ‘Positive and Optimistic Sunday’. On Farmdoc’s Blog from time to time I’ve written about my dog: Pete the Maremma. ‘His disposition’s more amiable than that of many people I know [1]’. Indeed last 3 July he featured as number 3 on my comfort list: ‘He’s just so affectionate. That is, if you’re a human and not a wallaby or a possum. Talk about a man’s best friend… [2]’. The bond between dog and person can be a joy to behold. And beneficial to both. Examples abound. Here’s one: an article in the 18 February Tasmanian Country [3]. It’s a touching story. I wasn’t previously aware of the Delta Society. Its website says ‘The Society’s mission is to promote and facilitate positive interaction between people and companion animals [4]…(and)… Currently it pursues this mission through three core projects: the Certificate IV in Companion Animal Services [5], the Delta Dog Safe Program [6] and the Delta Therapy Dogs Program [7]. I’d love Petey and me to be Delta volunteers. But I won’t have the time until I stop working. And by then Pete’ll be too old – Delta specifies a maximum dog age of 10, and Pete’s now 8¼. Anyway I’m sending Delta a donation to aid its terrific work. Dog therapists. Good stuff. How positive and optimistic is that.

No comments: