Here’s this week’s compendium. This week…
1. the WSJ reported on a disused oilrig that’s been converted into a dive resort hotel . That’s progress.
2. Lancet published research showing chromosome abnormalities are much more frequent in ADHD children than controls, and so ADHD’s not purely a social construct . Fascinating stuff.
3. Modern Manners Guy listed five Facebook faux pas to be avoided . I’m not a Facebook person so they mean nothing to me. But they may mean something to you.
4. a Sydney study in the BMJ showed that in older people, perceived risk and physiological risk are independent risk factors for falls . Thus clinicians need to take fear of falling seriously even in physically well patients.
5. Australia now has a nationally uniform Disability Parking Scheme . In theory, it’s an improvement over the many existing schemes. In practice…we’ll see.
6. a new state-of-the-art computer matching service linking volunteers with organisations needing their skills or time was launched in Victoria . Seems a good thing.
7. salon.com published a list of 2010’s movies ranked in order from best to worst . It’ll be updated weekly. I haven’t seen any of the top 100. (I gave up looking after that.)