Saturday, July 31, 2010

This week's compendium

Here’s this week’s compendium. This week…

1. film director Oliver Stone showed the world – again – what a bigot he is [1]. He’d have to be a friend of Mel Gibson’s, wouldn’t he? And Helen Thomass too.

2. the ageing ex football star I’ve mentioned before [2a, 2b, 2c] was fined on a road rage (i.e. parking rage) charge [2d]. Why would his behaviour change?

3. I loved this treehugger article explaining how tradition knowledge informs innovation [3]. As I’m an old guy, of course I’d love it.

4. the Age reported how Myki smart cards, newly introduced on Victoria’s public transport, are allowing police to track people’s movements [4]. Big Brother’s not a member of my family.

5. Nutrition Diva said that regarding supplements for osteoarthritis: don’t bother with chondroitin, and try glucosamine for three months as it either works or it doesn’t [5]. It didn’t work for me.

6. I came across the concept of ‘free range children’ [6]. And I think it’s a good one.

7. I was impressed by a couple growing all the food for their 100-person wedding reception [7]. Good for them; and all their guests.

8. Prime Minister Gillard unveiled a ‘cash for clunkers’ scheme funded by cuts to existing renewable energy programmes [8]. It may (or may not) be a vote winner, but it’s stupid.

Finally, I wish you, dear Farmdoc’s Blog readers, a wonderful week.

No comments: