Tuesday, July 14, 2009

farmdoc's blog post number 450

You’d think that as a man whose father died 40 years ago today, I’d be old and wise enough to have things sorted, and to know why things happen. But I don’t. For example, I don’t know…

why prime minister Rudd, having said Sorry so eloquently on 13 February 2008, thinks tourists should be allowed to climb Uluru against the traditional owners’ wishes. [1]

why Tasmanians drive like there’s no tomorrow, having no regard for weather and road conditions. Six deaths last Thursday brought Tasmania’s road toll so far this year to 45 compared with 40 for the whole of 2008. [2]

why governments persist is supporting clean coal rather than genuine clean renewable energy. Clean coal’s the mother of oxymorons. [3]

why left wing liberals support Hamas which is, no doubt, a regime of fundamentalist religious totalitarianism. Yet Israel, which is a parliamentary democracy with a free press, is their knee-jerk nemesis. [4]

who exactly ex-footballers Rex Hunt and John Newman think they are. Hunt was recently convicted for road rage; and last Friday police interviewed Newman about an alleged road rage incident. Did I just use the word ‘think’? Oops. Sorry. [5]

In Paul Simon’s Kathy’s Song, there’s a line:

‘And so you see I have come to doubt all that I once held as true.’

I don’t know if I’d understand these things any better if I talked about them with my Dad. But I’d give everything I own to find out.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

As a woman whose father died 40 years ago today, (and who was only 18 years old at the time), I have so many questions left unanswered...
I also miss him so very much.
40 years is a long long time.
I wish you long life, darling brother.
I love you so much xx

Meg said...

I so wish I had had the chance to meet him. Thinking of you both today. xx

Meg said...

Did you see this, re Rudd's Sorry speech?