Thursday, November 26, 2009

farmdoc's blog post number 585

I’ve written here of Louden Wainwright III. If you’re young, you may know him as the father of Rufus and Martha. Of Louden’s songs, the one I identify with most is ‘Last Man on Earth’. Especially the first few lines. And so to a discussion of cameras. Almost a decade ago, in Nevada, I bought my first digital camera. A Sony Mavica MVC-FD83 (picture, above), it was then state of the art: 1.3 megapixel, 3x optical zoom, images stored on diskettes (do you recall diskettes?), 3-5 images per diskette. Though it was big, heavy, clunky and slow, I persevered with it. Until a month ago when my last diskette bit the metaphorical dust. Enough was enough; I couldn’t bear it any longer. So after a bit of research I bought a Panasonic DMC-FZ35 (picture, below): 12.1 megapixel, 18x optical zoom, 1,200 images on my 8GB SDHC card. I’m ploughing my way through the 219-page manual. And I’m slowly getting the hang of it – at least the Intelligent Auto Mode. To quote ‘Last Man on Earth’, I feel pretty good that I’m no longer ‘old fashioned, retro to a degree…(and)…a throw-back anachronistically’. At least regarding my camera. Though in every other way, I may still be so. And even if I’m ‘the last man on Earth’ to take a photograph with a Sony Mavica MVC-FD83, ‘I can guarantee…there ain’t nothing wrong with me’.

No comments: