Tuesday, September 23, 2008

farmdoc's blog post number 156

In the year 2000 my age was 53, born in the first half of the last century’. That’s me. And it’s also Loudon Wainwright III [above] though he’s nine months my senior. I like his music a lot, probably because we’re of similar age, so many of the experiences and feelings he expresses in his song lyrics, are similar to mine. Take ‘Daughter’, for example. I find Loudon authentic, as I do Steve Earle [below] who’s 7-8 years younger than Loudon and me. Steve sings of heroes, he opposes the death penalty and he’s no fan of governments – so he’s my man. The clock of life ticks for us all. These days Loudon, Steve and I each have singer songwriter children. And I’m chuffed that in late November darling Emily is doing a four State Australian tour with Justin Townes Earle. I can’t speak for Loudon and Steve, but whilst I live exactly the life I want to live, I’m 100% sure my most active, productive and contributive days are behind me. Some time in my forties, I came to feel that, well, my options had stopped broadening and had begun narrowing. That’s fine by me. If I had a month to live, I would change little. As Louden sings, ‘I'm the last man on Earth and there ain't nothing wrong with me’.

No comments: