Saturday, April 18, 2009

farmdoc's blog post number 363

Mole Creek, a village of 223 people at the 2006 census, is a mobile phone black spot. Always has been. And now Telstra’s private, always will be. Barring an unforeseen technological advance, that is. Though since 3 March I’ve owned a T7, I’m content to live in a black spot. Because the only prizes won by people who must be accessible 24/7, are early funerals. My friend Haydn, who once owned and ran the Mole Creek Guest House, used the black spot as a positive marketing tool. Successfully, he says. Actually, on reflection, I’m ambivalent about the black spot, i.e. I have simultaneous conflicted feelings. A love-hate relationship. For I’d feel safer working alone around the farm if there was mobile phone coverage. Another local issue I’m ambivalent about is the installation last week of an ATM next to the supermarket. As you see, it’s new and bright and shiny. Oh so pretty. But does our tiny village need one? It’ll be used, so I suppose it’s needed. And I predict I’ll use it too. Occasionally. My fear is not the ATM, but what’s next. No longer are we one of the few places in this nation with no mobile phone coverage and no ATM. In this era of homogeneous mediocrity, Mole Creek still has a chance to remain uniquely technologically under-provisioned. Which I see as a mighty asset. Becoming like any other tiny village will be to our detriment, I’m certain.

No comments: