Friday, April 17, 2009

farmdoc's blog post number 362

Always, at the end of a movie with animals in it, I await the end-credit disclaimer: ‘No animals were harmed in the making of this film’. And when I see it, I’m reassured. It’s trademarked to the American Humane Association. Isn’t ‘humane’ a strange word. Because though it sounds like it relates only to humans, it encompasses animals too – via compassion and consideration. Is there a British equivalent of American Humane, I wonder, and if so did it oversee this ‘sheepvertising’ viral video. On 19 March when darling Meg sent it to me, I loved it. Saw nothing wrong with it. Still don’t. I think it’s moral and ethical, it doesn’t physically or psychologically hurt the participating sheep, and nor does it diminish the billion non-participating sheep. As one who’s all for animals’ rights, I feel these politically correct wowsers ought to re-direct their efforts to where they’re needed. I know my sheep are intelligent and they have personalities. So I reckon that if they could make cute videos about people, they would. (Also I know wombats well, and I’ve no doubt they’d condone their poo being made into paper. And if they could utilise human poo, they would.) The aforesaid wowser element would better protect animals more by working to ameliorate global warming, than bleating (pun intended) about a video that treats sheep with care and respect.

No comments: