Friday, March 6, 2009

farmdoc's blog post number 320

Although no proof of Ned Ludd’s existence has been found, it’s believed he did exist, and that in north England in 1779 he broke two stocking frames – not for ideological reasons, but rather in a fit of rage because he was a simpleton. Ludd was the eponymous inspiration for the Luddite movement which began 32 years later, in 1811. The Luddites objected to the introduction of new automated looms operated by cheap, relatively unskilled labour, so resulting in the loss of many skilled textile jobs. So the Luddites destroyed these new looms. Since then, the term Luddite has been used to describe anyone opposed to technological progress. I’m no Luddite (or neo-Luddite). For example I own and use a high-tech car, a laptop computer, an iPod, solar panels and storage batteries, a VoIP telephone and a chainsaw. But I’ve lived my entire life without owning a mobile phone. Almost 61¾ years. But that ended last Tuesday when I took delivery of a Telstra T7. Designed in consultation with older Australians, it has a large keypad, a large screen font, and a loud volume speaker. Also it comes with an instructional DVD. So it’s my kind of phone. Famous last words, but I doubt I’ll use it much. Anyway it may be useful in an emergency; and hopefully it’ll ward one off. It’s too soon to know if it was a good decision or not, Ned. Time will tell.

2 comments:

Meg said...

Do you have reception in M Creek? Do you know how to text? xx

farmdoc said...

Not on our property. Maybe under the conifers where Camerons Road joins the bitumen, but I haven't tried it yet. And I don't know how to text, but I may give it a try soon (if I get brave). xx