Monday, December 22, 2008

farmdoc's blog post number 246

It’s curious, but the further on I get into old age, the more I find myself thinking about genes. I don’t know why. I’ve wondered if it’s ontogenic. A developmental thing. An expression of the need to ensure bloodline perpetuation. Anyway, this week it occurred to me that of every person of my generation in the whole world, the one who’s genetically closest to me is my darling sister Sue. And as well as our genetic similarity, we were both raised in the same home by the same people. However despite this concordance of our nature and nurture, and notwithstanding our gender difference, we turned out to be quite different people. Different likes in music, literature, films and TV programs. Different pastimes and interests. Different depth of religious belief and observance. I’ve speculated if it was ordained so, to avoid direct competition between us. All of her children being sons and all of mine daughters, could be further evidence of this. But this said, I've no doubt at all that our differences are overwhelmed by our similarities. I love her. Strongly, unreservedly, existentially. Always have. Always will. Every single conversation we have ends with a mutual declaration of that love. She’s a good and kind person. She’s an exceptionally wonderful wife, mother and grandmother. She’s my sister. And today’s her birthday.

3 comments:

Meg said...

Happy birthday, auntie Sue! xx

Anonymous said...

Today's blog brought tears to my eyes.. I am SO connected to you even though we are so far apart. And I do love and thank you SO much for always being there for me xx

emily b-sides said...

What a beautiful post FD!

I know exactly what you mean...

sisters are the BEST!

xx