Sunday, December 21, 2008

farmdoc's blog post number 245

I reckon it was in 1973. Sweetheart Vivienne, darling Kate and I were living in Finchley in North London, and I was studying statistics and epidemiology at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine. We attended a Judy Collins concert. I don’t remember where it was held, or any of the songs she sang. Bar one: ‘Suzanne’. I thought it was one of the most beautiful songs I’d ever heard. I soon learnt that ‘Suzanne’ had been written by the Canadian poet Leonard Cohen. And so began my love affair with Cohen’s work – admittedly his music more than his poetry – which has spanned 35 years. So far. I’ve been thinking of my other favourite Cohen songs. I’ve decided on ‘Bird on a Wire’, ‘Hallelujah’ and ‘The Future’. I think the man’s a genius. His singing voice is unusual. Arguably even droll. But it suits his words perfectly. And in turn his words suit his music perfectly. Each one of his songs is exquisite. A week ago this Age article announced that Cohen will be in Australia a month from now: ‘…bad things sometimes happen to great people and in 2005 Cohen discovered that his entire fortune had been stolen by his former manager, which has forced him to undertake a world tour to recoup his losses’. He’s now 74-years-old.

1 comment:

WriterBee said...

It was at the Royal Albert Hall. We trekked across London to get there and sat high up in the gods and it was worth it for that one song.