Tuesday, December 23, 2008

farmdoc's blog post number 247

The word irony. I find it difficult to define. My dictionary says it’s ‘Incongruity between what might be expected and what actually occurs’. I reckon that’s close but, ironically, not spot on. I’ve previously written of Dick Adams, who’s my MP in the federal electorate of Lyons. Also how last year he sent details of how to best cook each potato variety. That was on the back of his 2008 calendar. Last week I received his 2009 calendar, and on its back was a blurb about Healthy Eating. Its paragraph titles include ‘Five core food groups’, ‘Can I just take a multi-vitamin?’, ‘Caffeine’ and ‘Tips to cut down on fat’. That Mr Adams would promote Health Eating is as ironic as it gets. Why? Because he’s grossly obese. Probably the most obese person in the federal parliament. Too many potatoes, Dick. And if he can’t practise healthy eating himself, how has he the gall to promote it. I’m reminded, again, of Rabbi Rodney’s adage that you never see a signpost walking in the direction it points. But wait. There’s more. When I googled ‘Dick Adams healthy eating’ up came this juicy piece that a few months ago, he underwent lap band surgery to treat his obesity. I quiver in excited anticipation of what’ll be on the back of his 2010 calendar.