Saturday, November 1, 2008

farmdoc's blog post number 195

Harry Greenberg, my friend and hero, died last Thursday evening. Born on 23 March 1919, he lived to the age of 89 years. I can’t recall when I first met Harry, but I suspect it was at Temple Beth Israel even before 1970 when his son Peter and I became friends. In 1970 Harry was 51, so I have no first-hand knowledge of his earlier life. I’m aware he was a chartered accountant and then a real estate agent. I didn’t know him when he lived in Horsham and Croydon, but I visited him in his Wandin, Hawthorn, Noosa and Ardoch homes. I have a vivid memory of a deeply suntanned Harry driving a Moke around Noosa. In 1941 at age 22, Harry married Marge, and for the next 62 plus years they were inseparable. Their marriage was a joy to behold. Harry delighted in reading books and stories to Marge. And their joint artwork brought them immense satisfaction. It was recently exhibited at the Jewish Museum in Melbourne. Because of their long and extraordinarily strong marriage, I thought that after Marge died in 2003, Harry would go into a decline. But the opposite occurred. He told me the only way he could cope was to be as busy as he could be – including painting. His energy throughout his late 80s would have put men half his age to shame. For many years he was a reader on radio station 3RPH (radio for the print handicapped), and well into his 80s he remained a volunteer with Jewish Care ‘looking after the oldies’. He was a Liberal Jew who adored attending services at the Temple, and he was pleased he could walk there from Ardoch. He was the devoted patriarch of a large family – three children, 13 grandchildren and 10 (I think) great grandchildren – and he rejoiced in reciting their names, ages, achievements, and locations in the world. In May 2004 Harry and grandson Felix visited me in Mole Creek. We had fun. Though Harry was 28 years older than I, we were friends – not intergenerational friends, but friend friends. Also to me he was a hero and role model – because of his long and devoted marriage, his kind and gentle nature, his generosity with time, his warm hospitality, and his genuine interest in everyone and everything. In December 2007 he began his Zayda’s Random Reflections blog, and I have no doubt that had he not done so, Farmdoc’s Blog would not have eventuated. Sweetheart Vivienne and I last saw Harry on Friday 17 October when we visited him at Central Park Nursing Home where his room’s walls were adorned with his and Marge’s artwork. He looked pale, tired and unwell. He had advanced cancer. But as usual he was interested, inquisitive and gracious. Yesterday morning his daughter Jo phoned to tell me her Dad had died the previous evening – painlessly, peacefully and with dignity. I will treasure always, my memories of Harry, as I will cherish the small sea chest that he painted a sailing ship on, and presented to me some years ago. I will miss him. I do already – as I write this post, my heart is heavy, and I strain to see my computer screen through my tears. It’s difficult for me to contemplate that I will never again phone him and hear the sing-song voice at the other end say ‘This is Harry’. Harry Greenberg, you have immeasurably enriched my life, and for that I will be grateful to you for as long as I live. It was a privilege knowing you. Farewell, my Friend.

2 comments:

Meg said...

And what a privilege for us to read your words. I think everybody hopes to be remembered with such love when they die. I know I do.

Anonymous said...

How beautifully put!

Uncle Harry you have had such a positive impact on my life! Even though I didn't see you often, Dad would always fill me in with little stories about you and what was going on in your life. I adored reading your Zayda's Random Reflections. It was always such a positive, uplifting experience. Your enthusiasm and zest for life were extraordinary.

If only there were more people like you in the world - motivated and so excited about the prospect of each and every brand new day!

I have just done a Google search on Positive Attitude quotes and this one sums it up: "There are six essential qualities that are the key to success - they are: Sincerity, Personal Integrity, Humility, Courtesy, Wisdom and Charity".

Uncle Harry, you were a Very Successful Man!

I will miss you dearly and I can gain a sense of peace knowing that you are excited about where this next journey will take you!