Friday, October 31, 2008

farmdoc's blog post number 194











I’ll bet you don’t know who Norma Deloris Egstrom was. Her stage name was Peggy Lee. Does that help? Born in 1920, she died in 2002. An actor, singer and songwriter, she wrote and sang several famous songs including Manana which reached number 1 on the US pop chart in 1948. Manana is a Spanish word meaning ‘tomorrow’, and the song goes: ‘Manana is soon enough for me’. I’ve previously mentioned my procrastination; here I go again: Some years ago I built a floppy-top fence around our Mole Creek orchard to keep out native wildlife. So successful is the fence that the orchard grass goes uneaten. I’ve considered ducks or geese to eat the grass, but to date no action’s resulted. So I have to mow it – 30 metres wide and 20 metres deep making 600 square metres. My mower’s a push motor mower – not a ride-on – and every Spring I delay the inevitable as long as possible. I always delay it too long. If I mowed earlier, it’d be a much easier job – and vice versa. Last Tuesday I could delay no longer. After an hour and a mower tank full of petrol, I’d done 40% of it – the 40% with the longest grass, I’m relieved to tell you. When will I mow the remaining 60%? Manana is soon enough for me.

No comments: