Sunday, January 9, 2011

I hope you're right, Tim.

Today’s ‘Positive and Optimistic Sunday’. The Bureau of Meteorology has just released its Annual Australian Climate Statement 2010 [1]. It says 2010 was our coolest year since 2001. Question: what does this tell us about global warming? Answer: nothing – because weathers short-term and climates long-term [2]. In fact the Bureau’s Statement says that the 10-year period ending in 2010 was our warmest on record. Atmospheric CO2 continues to rise. Inexorably so. In the year to November 2010 it rose from 385.99 to 388.59 ppm; and its rise isn’t slowing [3]. Further, governments – especially my country’s – aren’t doing much about it. At least that’s my take. I admit I’m no expert in this field. So I rely on the media and books. Though as a cup-half-empty man (Darling sister Sue wants me to change. I’d like to, but I don’t know how.), maybe I’ve invoked confirmation bias [4]. Anyway last Monday’s ABC Science Show was entirely devoted to eminent climate change expert (and former Australian of the Year) Tim Flannery (pictured) [5] giving a talk and then answering questions. Surprisingly, Flannery was upbeat about global warming and climate change mitigation processes and future outcomes. The program’s an hour long [6]. If you’re already positive and optimistic about these matters, don’t bother listening. But if you aren’t, it’s well worth an hour of your time. Almost certainly, once you’ve listened you’ll declare: ‘How positive and optimistic is that’.

1 comment:

Chris Burrows said...

It is still your lovely wife's birthday here, so a very happy Birthday to her.
My brother is 65 on Jan 25th so he is one of the very first baby-boomers. he actually moved out of the house where he was born and raised to a new (to him) home.
I think we are seeing climate change for sure, how this manifests itself in terms of weather is intersting. I'm a half empty woman too married to a half full man, but even he recognises there are changes and that our profligate use of CO2 producing fuels is NOT helping. Are the puppies eyes open yet?