Sunday, December 26, 2010

That's my hope too, David

Today’s ‘Positive and Optimistic Sunday’. At the end of an interview on the ABC’s Science Show last week, David Suzuki said this:

‘The largest run of sockeye salmon, the most prized salmon species in the world, is in the Fraser River in Canada. Now before white people came, we think that the traditional runs of sockeye were over 100 million. Then all kinds of things happened and it went down to where a 15-20 million run was a big run. But that's been that way for about 80 or 90 years. Last year, we had a run just barely over one million sockeye, and that, for a lot of us, we were grieving. We said they've had it. The government set up an enquiry to find out what the hell happened, and we thought this species was gone. This year, they had the largest sockeye salmon run in 100 years: 35 million. Nobody has a clue what the hell is going on! I have no illusion the species is out of the woods, but wow, what a surprise. Nobody could've imagined there would be that return of biomass. It was an incredible experience. Nature, I think if we give her a chance, nature can be far more forgiving than we deserve, and that's my hope. Thank you.’ [1]

How positive and optimistic is that. That’s my hope, too.

P.S. Here’s more about the Fraser River sockeye salmon [2, 3].

1 comment:

Chris Burrows said...

I had heard this good news and I agree, nature will heal herself quite fast if we just stop mucking about.
I remember in my teens the Thames River was considered almost beyond help. Then far faster than was ever expected species began to return.
Salmon are quite safe from this omnivore as I do not enjoy their flavour.