Saturday, August 29, 2009

farmdoc's blog post number 496

Today’s post is the third of three about this mad world we live in. Because the electricity in my Mole Creek comes entirely from the sun, I need to use it judiciously. So I don’t have an electric clothes dryer. Therefore the sun, as well as supplying my electricity, dries my laundry. I love my clothesline. I love hanging out my wet washing. And I love bringing in my sun-dried washing. Recently I was astounded to read that by 2010 more than 50 million US homeowners will be banned from line drying clothes outdoors. Why? For two reasons: to preserve property values, and due to prudishness. Well for goodness bloody sake. On both counts. Both these reasons are stupid. Especially when our planet’s climate’s being seriously affected by human activity. Americans spend US$5b each year drying their laundry. Imagine how much electricity – and thus coal-fired pollution – would be conserved if they sun-dried their laundry. Pollution free. All of this has resulted in a 2009 documentary film, Drying for Freedom, about laundry, clotheslines, freedom and the environment. And a campaign called Project Laundry List. It’s pitiable – no, deplorable – that this film and campaign were necessary. What’s wrong with the human species? It’s a MMMMW. For sure.

1 comment:

Meg said...

US$5b to dry their clothes each year?? Maybe it's all part of their plan: to raise the global temperature by a few degrees to ensure that when they are forced to dry their clothes outside, it dries in a matter of minutes.