Saturday, August 8, 2009

farmdoc's blog post number 475

Dental amalgam [1, 2] is the most common substance used for dental fillings. First used in the early 1800s in France, it contains a mixture of mercury and one or more other metals. For decades it’s been the restorative material of choice – due to low cost, easy application, strength, durability, and bacteriostasis. But in recent years its use has been declining due to health concerns, aesthetics, environmental pollution from cremation, and improved alternative materials. As I wrote here, I have many amalgam dental fillings – because I was born 30 years before the local water supply was fluoridated, and in those 30 years amalgam was the most commonly used filling material. They’re not front tooth fillings so I have no cosmetic concerns. I haven’t been cremated yet; and I’m unlikely to be in future. But the health issue’s a concern to me because mercury’s toxic. So I eagerly read the US FDA’s updated policy [3, 4] issued in late July after study of 200 scientific studies, that upgrades mercury amalgam from Class I (low risk) to Class II (moderate risk) whilst continuing to judge it safe if long-term fillings have no decay under them. And the FDA says removal of amalgam fillings potentially creates a bigger mercury health risk that leaving the fillings alone. I suppose I’m reassured. But I’ve a nagging doubt the FDA’s conclusion was coloured by the fact that mass removal of the population’s amalgam fillings would swamp the dental system. Ho hum.

No comments: