Tuesday, June 30, 2009

farmdoc's blog post number 436

The musical genius of Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel inspired a generation. My generation. Including me. Unselfishly, and unexpectedly, last Friday darling Emily offered Sweetheart Vivienne and me tickets to Simon and Garfunkel’s live concert. That night. Did we accept? Is the Pope Catholic? Dubbing their tour the ‘Old Friends ’ tour’ was apposite: First meeting when they were aged 11, they’re now both aged 67; I guess the youngest of their 10 band members is in his 40s; and their audience members were overwhelmingly Baby Boomers. Simon and Garfunkel’s songs first spoke to me in the early 1970s. Newly graduated in medicine, I felt knowledgeable, powerful, and excited on the threshold of my medical career and my marriage to Sweetheart Vivienne which both beckoned tantalisingly and infinitely into the future. In The Brain That Changes Itself, an axiom is: ‘Neurons that fire together wire together’. Almost all of last Friday’s music accompanied me in my early 20s; so of course the concert caused powerful feelings to well up from the depths of my psyche. I shed more tears than I had for years. Nowadays I no longer feel knowledgeable or powerful; I’m on the threshold of the end of my medical career; and nothing about my life feels infinite. Though Last Friday night, ‘in the naked light I saw 10,000 people, maybe more’, I had this weird feeling Simon and Garfunkel aimed their music directly at me. Thank you. Old Friends.

1 comment:

Meg said...

What a beautiful, tender post, FD.