Sunday, May 31, 2009

farmdoc's blog post number 406

Geena Davis. I like her acting. I think she was terrific in The Accidental Tourist, Thelma & Louise and A League of Their Own. She was also in the 1986 film The Fly. But as sci-fi horror drama’s not one of my favourite movie genres, I skipped The Fly. So I didn’t see the debut of that iconic line: ‘Be afraid, be very afraid’. Okay, I’m a coward. I know I am. I’m not brave at all. So it doesn’t take much to make me afraid. And right now I am afraid. Because I’ve just come across a website that scares the hell out of me. It’s called Worldometers, it’s a catalogue of world statistics updated in real time, and it’s here. You can decide which of the eight categories (lime green font headings) scares you the most. Me? I’m unsure, but my shortlist’s the last five. And of that five, probably the ‘Environment’ is the scariest. Look at how fast the ‘Carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions this year, in tons’ is increasing. And how ‘Current average temperature (Celsius)’ is rising. Inexorably. These statistics are now almost certain to signify changes to our world. Major changes. Changes we can’t currently imagine. Horror drama. And in real life – not sci-fi like The Fly. I’m afraid, I’m very afraid.

1 comment:

Meg said...

I have seen The Fly and I wasn't afraid. I saw those statistics and I was. Yikes!