Sunday, May 3, 2009

farmdoc's blog post number 378

Pete Seeger. I’ve mentioned him in eight previous Farmdoc’s Blog posts – including this one naming him in my list of heroes, and this one naming him my hero-of-heroes. Of course during his career spanning many decades, Pete’s inspired millions of people. I am but one of them. I’ve been to only one of his concerts – in the Melbourne Town Hall, in 1963. I have several of his CDs (which are a mere fraction of his recorded output), and some CDs of other singers covering his songs. Two books – The Incompleat Folksinger written by Pete himself; and How Can I Keep From Singing by David King Dunaway. And a poster on my office wall, of Pete and the other Weavers. Why is Pete my hero-of-heroes? For many reasons, but especially his words, his melodies, his banjo and guitar playing, his tuneful but otherwise ordinary singing voice, his shyness and humility, his asceticism, his principled bravery, and his environmentalism. In summary, he’s an admirable and inspirational human being. Today is Pete Seeger’s 90th birthday. And marking the occasion is a massive concert at Madison Square Garden. Oh to be there! What a journey for Pete – from the House Un-American Affairs Committee and a brief time in jail. Pete Seeger’s not only a US national treasure; he’s a global treasure. Bob Dylan once called him a saint. On your 90th birthday, Pete, I salute you. And I thank you. So very much.

3 comments:

Meg said...

Happy birthday Mr Seeger!

farmdoc said...

If you don't believe me, have a look and listen here.

farmdoc said...

And here's a nice article about Pete, in the Australian newspaper on 1 May 2009.