Tuesday, October 21, 2008

farmdoc's blog post number 184

This photograph’s of Liam. He’s aged 36 years. A nice looking young man, as you see. Married. Three children. Lives in Eganstown. Friendly. Courteous. Dependable. Musically gifted. And a glutton for punishment. At least he’ll be one soon if he isn’t one already. Because he’s offered to teach me the banjo. He says the best banjoists he knows are doctors. And he wants me to join the bunch. I’m keen. Very keen. But I’m old. Never played a musical instrument. Can’t read notes and keys. Don’t know chords. Can’t name any medical banjo virtuoso. (Doc Watson's non-medical.) Have arthritic fingers. But love music. Am not tone deaf (I think). Have time. Live a kilometre from nearest neighbour. And vis-a-vis fingers, believe in ‘the rehabilitation of everyday life’. Top of my list of heroes – my hero-of-heroes – is Pete Seeger. As well as being superb on the banjo, Pete’s authored a banjo best seller. With my above-mentioned handicaps, I don’t for a microsecond expect to joint Liam’s list of medical banjo greats. But just for taking me on as a pupil, he’s instantly joined my list of heroes. He’s beginning to search for an instrument for me. Our first lesson’s in late November. Wish me luck, because I need it. And wish Liam infinite patience.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so impressed and I know you can do it xx