Thursday, April 2, 2009

farmdoc's blog post number 347

Two months after darling Meg, I’ve just finished Malcolm Gladwell’s third book, Outliers: the Story of Success. Like Meg, I’ve also read, and loved, Gladwell’s previous two books The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference, and Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking. Unlike Meg, I don’t much go for his voice or his hair; but I’m cool with that. I’ve found Gladwell’s three books similar in approach and style – formulaic even – but captivating nonetheless. As he says, Outliers is a book about the meaning of work. His list of the three qualities work must have to be satisfying – autonomy, complexity, and a connection between effort and reward – resonates with me. As does his thesis that whilst a threshold of ability and intelligence is needed for success, beyond that what’s critical is being from the right background and in the right place at the right time, and the willingness to work hard, and long (he argues, and gives compelling examples, that 10,000 hours are needed to master any complex endeavour). So it’s not always the brightest people who succeed. Success, Gladwell says, is not exceptional or mysterious, but rather is a product of history and community, of opportunity and legacy. Clearly Gladwell’s an outlier. Good on him. I unreservedly recommend Outliers, and I can hardly wait to read what he writes next.

2 comments:

emily b-sides said...

I agree. It was a great read, and this, a great review. Thanks Farmdoc! xx

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!