Thursday, December 18, 2008

farmdoc's blog post number 242

I’m sorry I wasn’t there. I don’t know what I was thinking. Yesterday I was at work in Deloraine while Sweetheart Vivienne was in Melbourne graduating from RMIT University with a Diploma of Professional Writing and Editing. Not only that, but she was participating in the Graduation Parade down Swanston Street. I would’ve loved to watch her there, proudly celebrating her triumph. But I was here, head down, working. For what, I ask myself now. I thought I had my work-life balance sorted. But yesterday I was 180° wrong. Years ago, when Melbourne’s CBD was rundown and lifeless, Sweetheart Vivienne thought, or knew, RMIT would play a major role in its eventual revival. Of course she was correct. Founded in 1887, RMIT under successive names has always been part of the CBD. But it’s flourished since it gained university status in 1992. And simultaneously the CBD’s flourished too. Sweetheart Vivienne has seen all this front and centre, because since 2001 she’s lived at least part-time just a 2-minute walk from RMIT. She’s been a wonderful RMIT student – gifted, dedicated, conscientious, generous, wise, humble. She received almost straight High Distinction grades, but more importantly glowing feedback from her classmates and teachers. It’s been an absolute joy for me to behold. I should have been there yesterday. For her. For me. For us. But I wasn’t. And I’m sorry.

2 comments:

WriterBee said...

But you were there with me. You've been there with me every step of the way. Down Swanston Street yesterday and every time before that, as I dashed to class, leaning into the wind, slipping through the commuter crowds, always rushing, eager not to miss one precious minute of the opportunity I had, with your support, to study at RMIT.

Meg said...

I'm sorry I missed you too, Mum. So proud of you. xx