Sunday, December 14, 2008

farmdoc's blog post number 238

Regular readers of Farmdoc’s Blog will know my favourite hobbyhorse is the Formula 1 Grand Prix in Albert Park. In fact I’ve mentioned it in seven previous posts. So the current one is the eighth. Year by year over the last decade or more, I’ve noticed that regrettably the length and depth of Australian newspaper and magazine articles has gradually diminished, and investigative journalism has all but disappeared. (Incidentally I blame managements more than journalists.) But every now and again I come across an item that restores my faith usually because it’s iconoclastic, and a bit cheeky too. And, I must admit, I enjoy items like that because I agree with them. An example appeared in the Age yesterday. It’s about the Grand Prix, and you can read it here. Tracee Hutchison (pictured) has written a bobby dazzler. It’s an eloquent and tongue-in-cheek version of my 5 July 2008 post. And I savour every delicious word of it. So I’m compelled to add Tracee to my list of heroes, alongside her Age colleague Catherine Deveny. I doubt it’s a coincidence that, excluding Thomas Friedman who’s a genius, my two favourite journalists are women. I think women have a different way of looking at the world than men. And as an honorary female, I like that way. So keep up the superb work, Tracee - and Catherine.

No comments: