Monday, October 20, 2008

farmdoc's blog post number 183

Last month a Hobart lawyer friend told me of his 7-minute supermarket rule, i.e. his maximum supermarket shopping time per week is seven minutes. Either my self-discipline’s less stringent or I walk slower, because my weekly supermarket shopping always exceeds seven minutes. Always. This aside, I dislike all shopping, which I therefore do as infrequently and briefly as possible. For me it’s non retail therapy. Also I’m averse to entering a shop (or stall) where I’m the only potential customer. I worry about how to leave without buying anything. Like George W, I lack exit strategies. I know that’s stupid, but it’s how I feel. I’ve previously mentioned my belief that people either can or can’t sell. I’m unequivocally in the latter group. Always have been, always will be. So with trepidation I volunteered to help darling grandson Zephyr with his street stall (pictured) last Sunday. But all was okay because he wanted to do all the selling. Turned out I sat with him for 30 minutes without a single customer. But he confidently yelled ‘Garage sale here’ to passing cars. I was relieved, literally and figuratively, when it came time to travel back to Melbourne. My departure brought him luck; he ended the day selling three items for a total of $1.50. In the former group is our Zeph. I envy him that.

No comments: