Wednesday, July 16, 2008

farmdoc's blog post number 87

Our Mole Creek house is powered by the sun. Less sunshine in the winter means running a petrol generator to keep the batteries topped up to at least 70% full. Though in 2006 I ran the generator for 9 hours and in 2007 for 2 hours, so far this year the figure’s 37 hours. I doubt this year’s electricity use has increased much, so it must’ve been much cloudier. It sure feels that way. However yesterday was a sparking sunny day, light clear, sky deep blue, clouds small and fluffy. In summary, it felt good to be alive. I don’t think I’ve ever been clinically depressed irrespective of the season, but I accept the existence of winter depression or seasonal affective disorder. Whether it’s the fewer daylight hours, the weaker light intensity, the colder temperature or whatever, I know that in the winter it’s harder for me to get out of bed, do more than the basic farm chores, and even ride my bike. But yesterday I joyously fed hay to the sheep and goats, meat to Pete the Maremma, and oats and grain to Kai Kai the wombat. I exultantly walked to the post office to collect my mail. And for a day I forgot about the world’s woes and injustices. I think I might be solar powered like my house is.

No comments: