Tuesday, July 15, 2008

farmdoc's blog post number 86

For reasons unclear, I have a strong sense of morality. Thus the work I do – separating the bad guys from the good guys, and helping those good guys that the system is failing – why I was active in Save Albert Park, and why I detest anyone who abuses their power. When power is wielded excessively, I tend to be on the underdog’s side. Last Saturday I watched the film Bloody Sunday. On Sunday 30 January 1972 in Derry in Northern Ireland, British troops shot and killed 13 unarmed protestors. The film depicts the day and its aftermath from both viewpoints, whilst inevitably evoking more sympathy for the protestors – I think because the conflict was asymmetrical. Hop. In the asymmetrical conflict between the Israelis and Palestinians, I am unwaveringly on the side of Israel - the overdog. This is partly because I am Jewish, and partly because though both sides behave immorally, the Palestinians and their cohorts do so much more, and much more often. Asymmetry of force is no excuse, because the Palestinians' lack of respect for human life – even the lives of their own women and children – is an indictment of themselves and their religion. If all’s fair in love and war, then contemporary man is no more civilised than cavemen. The world is an irretrievable mess. We humans have stuffed up our big chance. Bring on global warming.

No comments: