Friday, July 11, 2008

farmdoc's blog post number 82

Last Wednesday morning I was booked to assess two people in my Deloraine Clinic, then from 2 p.m. to give evidence in the Workers Rehabilitation and Compensation Tribunal in Launceston. So I wore my (only) suit. When I backed my Peugeot from the garage, it felt sluggish and wobbly. The front right tyre was flat. Damn. Not keen to dirty my suit, I phoned Peugeot Assistance for a service call. But then I decided to start changing the wheel myself. I finished the job before the serviceman came, so I cancelled the call and arrived at work 20 minutes late. I explained to my first patient what had happened. She was patient and good-humoured. The rest of the morning went well. Not so the afternoon: The cross examination was distressing because the opposing lawyer played the man – for 1½ hours. Whilst I know they only play the man when they know they’ll lose by playing the ball, it’s still unpleasant to have my temperament, credibility and professionalism questioned. I was wrung out when I arrived home soon after dark, the house cold and two hours dictation ahead. Therefore last Wednesday was a bad day for me. Until I remembered my friend Craig who last week severed his median nerve and thumb tendons with a chisel. Then last Wednesday was not a bad day for me at all.

No comments: