Tuesday, June 17, 2008

farmdoc's blog post number 58

Since 1998 the Land Rover Freelander had served sweetheart Vivienne and me well. But as machines (not to mention people) get older, things go wrong. And when they do, repairs are often costly. So on 13 June 2007 – a year ago last Friday – I traded in the trusty Freelander for a new, Bianca White, Peugeot 307 XSE Hdi. I’m sure there’s lots of research about why people buy the cars they do, because the market is highly competitive, and for the manufacturers the stakes are high. My guess is that it boils down to factors of the head and the heart. At least that’s how it was with me a year ago. My head factors included diesel fuel economy, low greenhouse gas production, all the latest safety features, a trip computer, cruise control, lots of torque for towing, a large cargo space, and the right price. My heart factors included French manufacture, eye-pleasing styling, and a companion for my Peugeot bicycle. But why white when I live on a dirt road? Well any other colour was a few hundred dollars dearer. One year later, I am satisfied with my choice: I get over 1,300km from a 60 litre tank of fuel, and the exhaust is so clean that it’s soot-free. Thus far I haven’t needed the safety features. I hope I never do.

No comments: