Sunday, March 27, 2011

George is 'Back on the Floor'

Today’s ‘Positive and Optimistic Sunday’. Dancing. I’ve never been able to do it. Talk about two left feet. I have four. But I admire dancing. And people who can dance. Last 24 November I linked [1] to Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers dancing to ‘Pick Yourself Up’ [2]. Pure virtuosity, eh. I identify with tap dancing and old-time dancing. Modern dancing I understand less. Though I still appreciate, and admire, the athleticism it requires. And so to a young Haitian man: 28-year-old George. A professional dancer, in the 12 January 2010 earthquake he sustained severe injuries to both his legs. His right leg was amputated. Was his dancing career over? You’d think so. Then George met an Israeli rehabilitation team helping out in post-quake Haiti. The result? Play the video (titled Back on the Floor) [3] and judge for yourself. A year after the earthquake, and following intensive rehabilitation in Israel and Haiti, you’d hardly pick that George is an amputee. How positive and optimistic is that.

H/t Sweetheart Vivienne for bringing George’s inspirational story to my attention.

No comments: