Saturday, February 12, 2011

Gender: know and tell?

There’s no compendium this week. The reason? We have house guests – Sweetheart Vivienne’s brother Harvey and his wife Reva – so I haven’t had time to prepare one.

In Australia at least, almost all pregnant women undergo ultrasonography. This means the gender of each human foetus can be, and is, diagnosed before birth. So parents-to-be have two decisions to make: Do they want to know their unborn’s gender; and if yes will they tell family and friends. Sweetheart Vivienne’s and my youngest child was born sufficiently long ago that we didn’t grapple with these decisions. So I’ve never had first-hand experience with the pros and cons of knowing and telling. Not to worry. I don’t feel I’ve missed out in this regard. Yesterday we and our house guests visited Ben (pictured). He’s eight months old old and from Tasmania’s West Coast. His mother was killed by a car. He now weighs 8kg and he’s said to be ‘a wombat toddler’. The plan is that in late 2011 or early 2012, when he weighs 12-15kg and he’s ‘a wombat teenager’, he’ll be ready for release into the bush. Our bush. So there. Though not prenatally, I know the gender of our next ‘child’. And I’m thrilled to bits about it. Not only am I glad I know, I’m delighted to tell you.

Finally, I wish you, dear Farmdoc’s Blog readers, a wonderful week.

1 comment:

Meg said...

Welcome to the family, Ben! We look fwd to hearing about all your adventures. xx