Friday, December 24, 2010

List: '47 photographs from NG's 'Photography Contest 2010'

Today’s ‘List Friday’. With only seven days left in 2010, today’s is the second-last ‘List Friday’ for this year. And the choice of available lists is overwhelming: not only ‘Best of 2010’ lists, but ‘Best of decade’ ones too. It’s all a bit too much. How to decide which one to post today. Aha – a solution: put it out to the universe. Ever customer (or reader) responsive, I decided I’d go with the first list someone sent me – whatever the topic. That ‘someone’ happened to be darling Emily. And the list she suggested is a beauty: from the Boston Globe’s ‘Big Picture’ section, it’s 47 photographs from National Geographic’s ‘Photography Contest 2010’ [1]. The Contest’s open to the public. (Actually the entry deadline was 30 November). The 47 were posted on ‘Big Picture’ before the deadline. Scroll down and see them all here [2]. Which are your favourites? I think they’re all pretty amazing. If you want to see the finalists and the winners in the three categories, i.e. Nature, People, Places, you can access them here [3]. Wow! And to think that all the photographs in the Contest are taken by the public, i.e. not professional National Geographic photographers. They make me want to put my camera away – permanently. But I won’t. I’ll persist. However I know that no photo I’ll ever take will be remotely as fine as any of these. Ho hum.

P.S. Thanks, darling Emily, for sending me this list.

2 comments:

Chris Burrows said...

Fabulous photos, thanks .

Meg said...

Wow. They are all incredible. How to choose a favourite? BUT - if I have to, I can't go past number five.