Here’s this week’s compendium – with a strong health/medical slant. This week…
1. with the northern winter approaching, salon.com ran this fine piece about the common cold . I think you’ll learn something from it.
2. the BMJ reported that compared with placebo, chondroitin and/or glucosamine had no effect on the pain and pathology of osteoarthritis . As an owner of arthritic fingers, I say ‘Damn!’.
3. the journal Gut told us that low dose aspirin significantly reduces the risk of colorectal cancer . As an aspirin-taking owner of a bowel, I say ‘Yay!’.
4. Science Friday put up this ab fab vid of Caledonian Crows using twigs as tools . Ain’t evolution inspiring.
5. the Heart Foundation ran two new TV advertisements – about heeding the signs of heart attack, and calling 000 . Hopefully they’ll save lives.
6. planetgreen.com told us of ‘Tips for Freezing Fresh Produce’ . It’s nice to know how to do it properly – and safely.
7. gizmodo ran an article titled ‘Chasing the Perfect Cup of Coffee with Science’ . Amazing! Me? I’m all for the article’s last line: ‘…in the end, the only question that should matter is, "does it taste good?”’.
8. in fact today and tomorrow, darling Emily’s appearing at the 5th annual Wave Rock Weekender in Western Australia . Break a leg, Em. xxx
Finally, I wish you, dear Farmdoc’s Blog readers, a wonderful week.