Saturday, June 12, 2010

This week's compendium

Here’s this week’s compendium. This week…

1. Nokia, one of the world’s greenest tech companies [1a], unveiled Eco Profiles for each of its new products [1b]. Nice, Nokia.

2. a research article concluded hot packs and cold packs were equally ineffective for acute neck or back pain treated by ibuprofen [2]. But patients liked them.

3. Yahoo began using its iPhone weather application to make a political statement [3]. Stick to your knitting, Yahoo.

4. Grammar Girl distinguished between ‘assure’ and ‘ensure’ and ‘insure’ [4]. Rest assured it’ll ensure you know the difference.

5. a Lancet paper showed that allopurinol, a drug heretofore used only for gout, increases exercise capacity and lessens effort-related symptoms in patients with chronic stable angina [5]. A fascinating discovery.

6. I liked this Radiolab podcast about tumours, which included a segment about Tasmanian Devil Facial Tumour Disease [6]. I didn't know a Dutchman discovered TDFTD.

7. Nutrition Diva tells us to eat fish fat, and why [7]. Okay.

8. in fact yesterday, was the 50th anniversary of my Bar Mitzvah [8]. Time flies when…

Finally, I wish you, dear Farmdoc’s Blog readers, a wonderful week.

2 comments:

Meg said...

50 years!! Wow. Do you remember any of your parasha? xx

Chris Burrows said...

I enjoyed the medical bits, the Tasmanian Devil facial tumour Disease;and I had not heard about Heriettas Cells, I have to go back and check it all out as i just skimmed my first time.
50 years is so much to contemplate and so little in real time.