Friday, March 12, 2010

farmdoc's blog post number 691

Today’s ‘List Friday’. Have you ever seen carrots as beautiful as those in the photograph? They’re from Daylesford Organics, grown by darling Kate and Brendon. They look wonderful; but I’ll bet you anything they taste even better. No doubt we all have our own reasons for the quality and quantity of food we eat. And often, or mostly, the decisions aren’t conscious ones, but rather reached by habit. When I buy food, the three matters uppermost in my mind are (in order): low fat, low sugar, and price. As I’ve grown older, the food I eat’s become more important to me – no doubt as the link between food and health (and/or food and disease) has become clearer. Today’s list’s from the New York Times way back in June 2008. Its title says it all: ‘The 11 Best Foods You Aren’t Eating’. The list, which Sweetheart Vivienne alerted me to, was reportedly compiled on the basis of three criteria, i.e. healthy, easy to find, and rarely bought. The writer ends her article by disclosing that only two of the 11 are in her house. My score’s also two, i.e. cinnamon and sardines. But I’m aiming to up the number in the coming weeks and months. It shouldn’t be too hard to do. But the thing I’m really looking forward to is eating a Daylesford Organics rainbow carrot – at the Collingwood Children’s Farm Farmer’s Market tomorrow morning. I can hardly wait.

No comments: