Monday, February 8, 2010

farmdoc's blog post number 659

Health 2020 [1]. It may have saved my life. I’m a voluntary participant in this long-term epidemiological study. A few years ago when I weighed 76 kg, a battery of blood tests done as part of periodic Health 2020 testing showed that my blood sugar level and cholesterol levels were at the upper end of normal. Not good. Not good at all. So I went on a diet, reduced my weight to 65 kg, and my blood tests returned to normal. Since then my weight’s crept up a bit. It’s now 69 kg, but I feel (and, Sweetheart Vivienne says, I look) best when it’s 67½ kg. Interestingly, I’ve noticed that when I put on or take off weight, it happens around my middle first. And so to the results of a recent survey of the waistlines of 1,000 men [2, 3]. Debenhams, which commissioned the survey, is a British retail chain [4]. And so it’s likely the 1,000 men are Brits. But almost certainly the survey results apply in Australia too. Though thankfully not to me. At least not to any appreciable extent. Because my middle changed size but little as my weight changed from 67½ kg to 69 kg. Thus my trouser line’s remained at my waist. Which puts me in the minority of men aged aver 39 years. Thank you for that, Health 2020. And for so much more.

No comments: