Friday, January 22, 2010

farmdoc's blog post number 642

Today’s ‘List Friday’. For an introduction to today’s list I can do no better than cut and paste the preamble on Planetgreen’s web page about the list:

‘Live a comfortable life, not a wasteful one. Do not spend to impress others. Do not live life trying to fool yourself into thinking wealth is measured in material objects. Manage your money wisely so your money does not manage you. Always live well below your means.’

The list is ‘18 Tips for Living Within Your Means’. You can see all 18 tips here. There are some pretty good reasons why you should live within your means: Abundant research convincingly shows that once your basic needs are met, owning more and more doesn’t make you happier and happier. Also, living beyond your means reduces your savings or puts you in debt; and in either case the scenario will have more downside than upside for you. Also, living beyond your means is a likely indicator that you’re using more of our planet’s resources that you need to; which is unsustainable. How many of the 18 tips apply to you right now? (I score 11.) I'm aiming to increase my score by two. What about you? If you do likewise, I reckon it’ll improve your life.

2 comments:

Meg said...

A great, and very important list, however I'm not crazy about number 12: "Stop competing. Forget about the Jones altogether."

But I love them!

farmdoc said...

I can understand why, Meg. So I hereby give you dispensation from number 12. xxx