Wednesday, December 23, 2009

farmdoc's blog post number 612

I don’t know if the summer solstice was yesterday or the day before. But either way, the daylight hours have begun to shorten. Which always seems odd to me because summer’s hottest days are still ahead. As I wrote here, convention has it that summer’s designated by the calendar in the southern hemisphere (i.e. December, January, February) and astronomy in the northern hemisphere (21 June to 21 September, i.e. solstice to equinox). Be this as it may, each year the 12 days between Sweetheart Vivienne’s and my anniversary and the end of the year, is a calm and pleasant time here in Mole Creek and surrounding areas. No wind, long daylight hours ending in 9 p.m. gloaming, abundant grass for stock, patchworked fields studded with fresh round hay bales, work winding down for the year, Xmas decorations twinkling on houses and seen through front windows. This year, thanks to above average rainfall (1,180 mm so far) the Tasmania Fire Service hasn’t yet declared the fire permit season. (They usually declare it in October. I doubt it’s ever been declared this late in the year.) It’s a unique time when our tanks are full of water and our batteries full of electricity. It’s also a time when Sweetheart Vivienne and I like to reflect on our lives in the year that was, and agree on plans for the year ahead. I don’t want to put a hex on anything, but this year’s been a good one for my Sweetheart and me. I’m content, at peace with myself and, I think, healthy. I can’t vouch for the world or anyone else, but I’m okay.

No comments: