Sunday, November 8, 2009

farmdoc's blog post number 567

Today’s Celebrate Tasmania Day. Its slogans are ‘Tasmania – worth celebrating’ and ‘It’s time to celebrate what’s great about Tasmania’. Today Tasmanians are being exhorted to select from this smorgasbord: think what makes us Tasmanians, celebrate everything good about life in Tasmania, stop and collectively enjoy each others’ company, learn the names of our neighbours, say g’day to them if we already know their names, play cricket in the park, get together for a community BBQ, visit somewhere in Tasmania we’ve never been before, attend a CTD event, and (for reasons unclear to me) print out and build this pinwheel. I’m doing none of these things. I think CTD’s superficial, jingoistic, banal and stupid. It’s a top-down event and not a grassroots one. So someone has an agenda. I wonder if it’s the State Election in March 2010. It makes sense: it’s only a short mental hop from the good things in Tasmania, to re-electing the incumbent government so the good things can continue. It’d be much more productive if Tasmanians spent CTD discussing how to improve Tasmania. But top of that list would be to vote out the pack of pathetic individuals who masquerade as the current government. So that’s not on the agenda. Yesterday I wrote that I don’t go in for herd activities. That puts me in the vast minority among my half million fellow Tasmanians – who will undoubtedly do what they’re told today. More fool them.

No comments: