Friday, November 6, 2009

farmdoc's blog post number 565

Today’s ‘List Friday’. I found today’s list on the Age website on 29 October. It’s the Top 20 most annoying things about flying. I continue to fly. Living as I do over the water from my daughters and their families, and intermittently Sweetheart Vivienne too, I must travel to see them, and realistically I must do so on transport powered by fossil fuel. I admit I’m not as idealistic as darling Meg and PJ whom I admire for their decision. Rightly or wrongly, I can explain (i.e. rationalise) my patronage of airlines. For example I own thousands of trees which I’m sure make me a net user – and not a net producer – of CO2. I acknowledge that overall flying’s environmentally destructive. And, to me anyway, it’s soul destroying too. I’m referring to airline flying – which is the subject of today’s list. I don’t know where the 20 items on this list came from, e.g. a survey, or the writer’s experience. It matters not, since I accept that all 20 exist and that they’re ‘most annoying’. Of the 20, I’ve personally experienced all but numbers 16 (mobile phones), 19 (lost luggage) and 20 (wrong destination). I can’t hazard a guess as to which I find the most annoying of the 20. But that’s unimportant. The bottom line is that I continue to fly despite this list. Because for me the advantages outweigh the disadvantages – myriad and profound though they be. But when I eventually live on the mainland…

No comments: