Wednesday, September 30, 2009

farmdoc's blog post number 528

Fairytales. When I was a nipper I loved the ones with sweet and cheerful characters and happy endings; but those with frightening characters scared me. Nevertheless I believed all the tales. I knew the characters were out there somewhere, which was why people wrote books about them. As the years passed, I no longer believed in fairytales. And I was so smug and self-righteous in my non-belief. Enter, Cadel Evans. He’s a champion Australian professional cyclist. Born in Geelong in 1977, he won loads of mountain bike races until 2001 when he turned to road cycling. In the Tour de France, he came fourth in 2006, then second in 2007 and 2008 making him the highest placed Aussie in the Tour’s history. In 2009 he was tipped as a likely winner, but he came 30th. It was mainly due to a lack of team support, but the critics blasted him. They said he’d never win a major race. That he’d be a perennial bridesmaid. Then last Sunday, Cadel’s story became a fairytale when he won the 262 km road race at the World Cycling Championships. Never one to hide his emotions, he sobbed as he donned the coveted rainbow jersey (picture). As fate would have it, Cadel’s victory was the day after Geelong won the AFL Premiership. And next year’s World Cycling Championships are being held in – yes, you’ve guessed it – Geelong. Cadel, you’re a real champ. You showed ’em! Now for the 2010 Tour de France.

No comments: