Sunday, September 20, 2009

farmdoc's blog post number 518

Yesterday was a pretty special day:

First, it was the first full day of the year 5770 according to the Hebrew calendar [1]. As I’m a secular Jew, it doesn’t mean overly much to me. Indeed little more than the start of another cycle of Jewish festivals. I’m grateful Sweetheart Vivienne saw fit to spend it with me here in Mole Creek, thus forsaking a family dinner in Melbourne. We spent it quietly here: doing farm chores, eating well (of course), working at our computers, and watching a DVD. Also discussing where we’re up to in our lives – and our life – leading on to talk of future plans. And naturally, to symbolise a fruitful and sweet year ahead, we partook of the traditional apple and honey (as they did too, over in the Land of Meg).

Yesterday was also Talk Like A Pirate Day 2009. Though I’ve never met a real live pirate (and I hope to never meet one), as I’ve written [2, 3], pirates are really important in my life. So I don’t doubt the significance of this wonderful day – 19 September – which is the birthday of the ex-wife of a founder of this auspicious international celebration. In a world that mostly takes itself too seriously, an occasional bit of harmless fun can do no harm.

So ahoy there, me mateys! Have a swashbuckling 5770. Or else I'll make you walk the plank. Aarrgghhh!

1 comment:

Meg said...

Why are pirates, pirates?

They just aarrgghhh!

Happy new year to you Farmdoc! We hope you have a wonderful year. And we hope you continue to share your days with us here on your blog. xx