Thursday, September 10, 2009

farmdoc's blog post number 508

Last 31 July Sweetheart Vivienne and I enjoyed the film Unmade Beds at the Melbourne International Film Festival. Early on, its lead character muses about how many beds he’s slept in during his life. I don’t know how many I’ve slept in. I’d reckon between 100 and 1,000. But what I do know is that when Sweetheart Vivienne and I sleep in the same bed, I sleep on the bed’s right side and she on the left. How this came about is a mystery to me. But it’s always how it’s been with us. Including recently in Port Douglas and on Dunk Island. Even when I’m alone in a bed larger than a single, I still sleep on the right side. I think I’d feel dissonant if I slept on the left. A bit like the drivers in Samoa who at 6 a.m. last Monday changed from driving on the right side of the road to the left (apparently uneventfully). However I have no intention at all of changing bed sides with Sweetheart Vivienne. At least not unless she provides me with a compelling reason to.

No comments: