Wednesday, July 29, 2009

farmdoc's blog post number 465

Each year, in the dark cold wet depth of winter, and thus bisecting the summer fire seasons, the five local volunteer fire brigades comprising the Western Tiers Group [WTG], meet in the Deloraine Football Club’s clubrooms for an annual dinner. This year’s was last Saturday night – which was dark, cold and wet. About a hundred people were there (counting partners and spouses, but alas not Sweetheart Vivienne). The room was nicely decorated, including a floral centrepiece on each table. I sat with my Mole Creek brigade mates. Thanks to some new members, we had our biggest contingent for years. The food was institutional, but for reasons I don’t know it was better than in prior years. The bar, manned by footy club members, did brisk trade. Every attendee received a voucher for a free drink. I redeemed mine for a Coke Zero. There was raucous hilarity, mainly directed at the MC – our much-loved WTG leader (who’s a month older than me). There were games. There was a trivia competition. And there were long-service presentations. I’ve been to a few of these dinners, and for me the main attraction’s the ritual identicalness from year to year, and thus the predictability of it all. I had a good time. I won the trivia, of course. (A $50 voucher at Becks Hardware.) And I was presented with a 5-year Long Service badge – which I’m mighty proud of.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm mighty proud of you too, Farmdoc, both for the trivia prize & especially for the long service award.
(So would Mum & Dad, who would have turned 87 & 97 respectively this month)
Much much love xx

Meg said...

Nice work, Brains Trust!