Sunday, July 19, 2009

farmdoc's blog post number 455

My first post about my medical influences was this one on 25 May 2008 when I wrote about Drs Bell and Doyle. Today I write of another man who had a major effect on the way I doctor. Richard Robert Haynes Lovell (pictured) was born in England in 1918, trained at St Mary’s Hospital in London, and graduated in Medicine in 1941. After five years as a Royal Navy surgeon, he undertook postgraduate studies in London. In 1950 he returned to St Mary’s – first as a Lecturer and then a Senior Lecturer – where his life-long interest in epidemiology began. In 1955 he became Melbourne University’s inaugural Professor of Medicine – based at Alfred Hospital and then at The Royal Melbourne. He was the first Professor of Medicine in Melbourne and, I think, Australia. Though a good clinician and researcher, he was an outstanding teacher. I first experienced his teaching as a fourth year student in 1966. He was a stickler for thorough and rigorous clinical (i.e. interviewing and physical examination) skills. I took to his approach readily, and the book he co-authored, An Introduction to Clinical Medicine, was my clinical bible. In 1971, my second year after graduation, I worked a term in his department as a Senior Resident. It was he who arranged for me to study Statistics and Epidemiology at the London School of Hygiene in 1972. From 1973 to 1977 I was on his staff as a Junior Lecturer, during which time I wrote my PhD thesis. After that I had little to do with him. He retired from his Department in 1983, and he died in 2000. The main reason for whatever success I enjoy in my work today, is the scrupulous clinical method he taught me. Thanks, Prof.

2 comments:

WriterBee said...

It's extraordinary what a difference an outstanding teacher can make to one's life. It's also important to recognise, as you have, that contribution.

farmdoc said...

There, but for the grace of you, go I, WriterBee. xxxxx