Friday, May 22, 2009

farmdoc's blog post number 397

For the last 42 years I’ve done it. Once a year. Without fail. Sometimes easily, other times not. What, you ask? Why changing the registration sticker on my car windscreen, of course. Since my 18th birthday I’ve owned 11 cars: Morris 1100, Mini Cooper S, Ford Cortina, Mazda 1300, Holden Commodore wagon, Toyota Tarago, Mitsubishi Starwagon, Honda Accord, Mitsubishi Pajero, Land Rover Freelander and Peugeot 307 wagon. The sticker colour changes each year. I used to get excited thinking what colour the new year’s sticker would be. I’ve tried different ways to scrape off the old stickers. Knife, scalpel, steel wool. But the best is a razorblade. Sometimes I leave one corner of the new sticker dogeared up. And if I’m lucky, 12 months later at replacement time I can carefully peel the sticker off without using the blade. I feel really smug if I achieve that. But alas, all good things come to an end. Or so, at my age, it seems. This article in the Age last Monday forewarned the end of registration stickers. In this computer age, I’m not surprised. They say it’ll save money. But I’ll bet you anything you like that any saving won’t be passed on to vehicle owners. The only remaining issues are what to do with my razorblade, and which year the stickers will end. Oh yes – and what the colour of the last sticker will be.

No comments: