Wednesday, May 13, 2009

farmdoc's blog post number 388

When I first saw last Thursday’s Age headline ‘Chocolate fuel to power car’ I thought ‘Cars can’t taste and savour chocolate, so why squander it on them?’ But then I read on and saw that no-one’s going to be filling cars up with Cadbury Dairy Milk, say. But rather the chocolate fuel’s based on waste from chocolate factories. As per video at this link, the ‘vegetable oils’ are recycled and not new, and the the car in question’s not an ordinary car – it’s a racing car. And a fast one at that. How exciting. Farmdoc’s Blog readers know I see no place for motor racing in a world approaching, or perhaps past, peak oil [1]. But I have no qualms about racing cars running on biofuel made from waste – because it wouldn’t deplete petroleum reserves, and unlike purpose-grown biofuels it wouldn’t supplant food production. I can’t wait for the day when the racing cars fuelled by waste chocolate and oil are elite Formula 1 cars rather than Formula 3. When that happens, petrol-heads should become extinct – by morphing into chocolate-heads. Then the real challenge will be to eat enough chocolate to ensure there’s ample chocolate waste for the biofuel production. I’m confident I’ll be able to assist.

No comments: