Wednesday, April 8, 2009

farmdoc's blog post number 353

Peter Gebhardt. His and my paths have crossed in the past. Several years ago. When he was a Judge in the Victorian Accident Compensation Tribunal, and I gave evidence before him. I have no recall of his appearance, voice, demeanour and decisions. But I have a hazy notion he was a member of Save Albert Park. Anyway I now know Peter Gebhardt’s a wonderful fellow. Intelligent. Thoughtful. Considered. In short: a top guy. The best. How do I know? Because he agrees with me. In his article in last Sunday’s Age, he wonders why the government’s spending A$40M on the 2009 Victorian bushfire Royal Commission when the results of inquiries after previous Victorian bushfires – he cites 1939, 1983 and 2002/3 – were not fully implemented. Especially because full implementation would have profoundly improved the outcomes of the 2009 fires. Thus, retired County Court Judge Gebhardt agrees with the third-last paragraph in my 16 February post. How true it is that we feel positive toward those who agree with us – and vice versa. It shouldn’t be like that. (A wise man once said ‘We owe almost all our knowledge not to those who have agreed, but to those who have differed’.) But it is.

No comments: