Saturday, January 24, 2009

farmdoc's blog post number 279

Wikipedia tells us that in Judaism, shiva (or shiv'ah,from the Hebrew שבעה meaning ‘seven’) is the week-long period of grief and mourning for the surviving first-degree relatives: father, mother, son, daughter, brother, sister, spouse. (Grandparents and grandchildren aren’t included.) As most regular activity’s interrupted, the shiva ritual is called ‘sitting shiva’. The shiva period lasts seven days. The first and last days are part days but count as whole days. Though shiva does not begin until after the funeral, the funeral day is considered a full day of shiva. On day seven, shiva ends in the morning following services. Shabat (i.e. today) is counted as one of the seven days. Therefore the shiva period for Lucy began last Sunday and it ends this morning. Since I returned home to Mole Creek from Melbourne last Monday, I’ve spoken by phone with Sweetheart Vivienne every day except Thursday (when I was away on a work trip). She’s described, I think, mixed feelings about her week of sitting shiva. I’d be surprised if it was otherwise, because most if not all things in life have their advantages and disadvantages. I hope, but currently don’t know, that the upside for her has outweighed the downside. Since last Monday I’ve longed  ached  to hug and comfort her in person. Now she’s stopped sitting shiva, I should get to do it soon.

No comments: